Close Reading Of “Call it Sleep”
Close Reading Of “Call it Sleep”

Close Reading Of “Call it Sleep”

The following quotations are taken from the passage “The Cellar” in “Call It Sleep”

“ David looked first at Luter, then at the coin. Beneath the tavle a hand gently pressed his thigh. His mother! What did she want?”

“I don’t like it,” he faltered. “I don’t like ice cream.”

The finer of the same hand tapped his knee ever so lightly. He had said the right thing. Page 44.

The quotations above represent various things. One of which is the intuition and bond that David and his mother have. Not one word was spoken between them in this instance, yet everything was understood. This passage was talked about in the first section of this course, and we initiated how much David and his mom understand each other. David previously knew that something was off about Luter and how he slowly grew to resent Luters comments and presence. However, it is not truly until this scene where we can see how loud unspoken words can be. With just a gentle press on the thighs David knew what to say. Could David and his father ever possibly have this type of bond? Time and time again we can see that this would be impossible due to the treatment of Albert to his son. These words were specifically chosen to highlight the connection that David and his mom have over the course of the book. We can see this again when Luter insinuates that he (David) should go to sleep. However, he knows in one way, or another that he should do anything in his power to not leave them alone.

In complete contradiction, In the book when interaction is shown between David and Albert whatever albert wants David to do he must fully explain and carry out. For instance

“Do you see that door?” He shook him into attention. “In the grey house. See? That man just came out of there.”

“Yes, Papa.”

“Now you go in there and go up the stairs and you’ll see another door. Go right in. And to the first man you see inside, say this: I’m Albert Schearl’s son. He wants you to give me the clothes in his locker and the money that’s coming to him. Do you understand? When they’ve given it to you bring it down here. I’l be waiting for you.

Now what will you say?” he demanded abruptly.

David began to repeat his instructions in Yiddish.

“Say it in English, you fool!”

He rendered them in English. And when he had satisfied his father that he knew them, he was sent in.

“And don’t tell them I’m out here,” be was warned as he left. “Remember you came alone!” Page. 24-25

Here it is imperative to note how much David lacks social cues, when it comes to his father and how little he can understand precisely what his father wants him to do even with full description/breakdown while on the other hand, with his mom no words have to be spoken.