Arguementative essay draft
Arguementative essay draft

Arguementative essay draft

Shamel Jaquez Mateo 

March 7, 2023 

Professor N

Professor Kratka 

The Unspoken + Differences = ?

Although one has the capability to have tacit support from another does it mean that there is acceptance? In the 1963 short story “what must I say to you” by Norma Rosen an employer and employee have a bonding relationship despite their marital, religious and worker-employee dynamic. Jewish- Christian differences are talked about and critiqued, yet they don’t necessarily have the same status.  Even though they have this unspoken relationship, it doesn’t go beyond the unspoken. 

“You don’t owe her an explanation.” My husband doesn’t know how close, on winter afternoons, a woman is drawn to another woman who works in her house. It would surprise him to hear that I have already mentioned to Mrs. Cooper certain intimate details of my life, and that she has revealed to me a heartache about her husband. “But I think I’lI tell her,” I say. “Not even a spray of balsam. I’d rather have her think of us Godless than heartless.”(Rosen, 206). Why care? That’s the question that many think when reading those lines. Like the husband says she doesn’t owe her an explanation. If the wife were to  only think of Mrs.Cooper as merely an employee and someone who takes care of her daughter then surely she wouldn’t care. Except that here it is evident that not only does the wife care enough to explain why there isn’t a christmas tree in her house, but that she shares private intimate details of her life and Mrs.Cooper reciprocates by telling her about her situation with the husband. This quote from the short story, truly embodies that, while yes mrs.cooper is supposed to solely be an employee, there’s much more to it. It summarizes what brought them together and that despite the relationship, there is more than basic respect, there’s cordiality. More so about Mrs mrs.coopers husband. The wife (the narrator) seems to know exactly not only what mrs.cooper’s relationship with america seems to look like but also mr.Cooper (Ronsen, 208). The acknowledgement on behalf of the wife in regard to the difference in the relationship among her employee and the employee’s husband shows that she plays close attention and is able to summarize the type of relationship they have. In page 208 of the short story “what must I say to you” by Norma Rosen, The wife states “ There are two kinds of immigrants, I observe. One kind loves everything about America, is happy to throw off the ways of the old country, and thereafter looks back largely with contempt. The other kind dis-likes, compares, regrets, awakens to Welt and Ichschmerz and feels the new life mainly as a loss of the old, Often, the two marry each other.”. 

After summarizing the relationship  not only that Mr & Mrs.Cooper share but also her and her husband the short story moves on with showing an interaction where there is understanding, and mutual respect for both holidays on behalf of both the women. The wife states “Christmas week comes, and we give Mrs.Cooper presents for her children. And since Christmas day falls on the last of her regular three days a week, we pay her for her holiday at the end of the second day. “Merry Christmas, Mrs. Cooper,” I say. “Have a happy holiday.” Suddenly she laughs and ducks her knees. Her fingers fly with unaccustomed haste to her cheek and she asks, “What must I say to you?” “You can wish me the same,” I say.’ “We have a holiday. My husband gets the day off, too.” (Rosen, 209). When speaking about the christian holiday, the wife is understanding when it takes place and work is with it in regards to pay. It is important to note that while the employer has to pay the employee back in 1963 there was no moral obligation to work around holidays of those who work for you. Yet there was no hesitation with the wife. In the end we are able to see how Mrs.Cooper is being explained to Jewish people ,just like her, after getting wished a happy Christmas and showing confusion on what to say back. 

To answer the question asked in the very beginning, based on this short story, yes. One can absolutely receive tacit support whilst receiving acceptance. Employers and employees, even back in 1963 had the opportunity to create that bond despite not knowing each other anything and being completely different.